Setting up autoproxy for Tiger
Contrary to what NSIT says in their support documents, you can use NSIT’s web proxy from off campus with Tiger (OSX 10.4). These instructions will help you configure Safari and Tiger to use NSIT’s web proxy. Please let me know if you know how to make this work in Panther without using any external proxy programs.
- Open up System Preferences and Click on Network.
- Select your location and the device you use to connect to a network (Airport, Ethernet, etc.). Then click Configure.
- On the next page, click on Proxies in the tab view and you should see something like the image below.
- On the left is a list box which asks you to select which proxy you want to configure. Scroll down to automatic proxy configuration. Select it and then type the following URL in the URL text box on the right.
- Click Apply Now and thats it!!.
- When you surf to a website like http://www.oed.com, Safari will ask you for your CNET ID and password. If you like you can save it in keychain, and then you don’t need to type it out again.